Micro is a word that comes from the Greek μικρός (mikrós
meaning "small". It can be used to indicate a smaller than average scale, as opposed to prefixes mega and macro, which can be used to indicate a larger than average scale.
Some examples are:
- microscopic referring to objects smaller than the scale of focus (in contrast with macroscopic).
- microwave, microphone, microchip and micro-organism.
- micro- (μ) is a prefix in the SI and other systems of units denoting a factor of 10−6 (one millionth). The symbol is the lower case Greek letter for mu, µ
- Micro as shorthand for an SI based measurement, in the case of blood lead level for example, 10 micros would be 10 micrograms per deciliter.
- A shortened reference to microeconomics, microsociology, microbiology or similar fields of science
- Microcomputer (semi-obsolete usage)
- Microcontroller, electronics, microcontroller (also MCU or µC) is a functional computer system-on-a-chip
- Micromanagement (computer gaming)
- Micro DBMS, an early relational database management system
- The Micro programming language, a simple programming language used in teaching compiler construction techniques
- Microchip (comics), a supporting character in The Punisher comics (often known as Microchip)
- Mikro, a Greek electronic music group
- Microhouse, a subgenre of House music
- Micro (band), a Thai rock band
- Micro (car), the first car company from Sri Lanka
- Micro (novel), a novel written by Michael Crichton